We are tweaking this ebook, it’s currently unavailable. Should be available soon.
Have you ever turned in a commercial loan request to a bank without having a good idea if it’s really doable? Perhaps hoping they would get back with you with some input? Do you call loan officer with just basics on the deal hoping they can give you insight on if its fund-able? And what the potential terms are? Do you have a process or some idea on how to pre screen deals? Have you won a few deals only to see many more die after putting weeks or months into them? Do you have a real marketing plan on how to get viable commercial leads?
This ebook, will give you a method for pre screening deals. It will also give you ideas on how to market, sell, and close more commercial mortgages.
Commercial Loan Officer Training
There is an incredible amount of money you can make in this business. Many commercial mortgage brokers make low to mid six figures, and a few make over seven figures per year – that’s over $1,000,000 per year brokering commercial mortgages. All without having any real fixed expenses or little to no support staff. And, this is still happening today, even in this difficult market.
However, there are many essential areas you need to master in order to succeed. Here’s a few of them:
1. You have to have a real marketing plan that makes your phone ring. You need borrowers calling you. Not the other way around! We reveal marketing tactics we have learned over the years the hard way.
2. Once you figure out how to get viable borrowers calling you, you need to know how to sell them on your services. We discuss this in depth and give blunt, straight advice.
3. You have to have a rock solid lender network – you need more than a few names. You need relationships where the lenders respect you and value your business. Also, you have to know their programs inside and out. You have to know them cold.
4. The forth main area you need is the ability to screen loan applications quickly – i.e which has a lot to do with knowing how to read tax returns and other financial statements. You need to be an EXPERT at figuring out what the real net operating income is. Cash flow is paramount for underwriting. And, you figure out what the businesses cash flow is by reviewing the borrowers tax returns. You, as the broker need to be able to decide to work on deals or pass in the BEGINNING of the process NOT after you have worked on it for 2 months and submitted the file to 20 different banks without a single term sheet.
We can help you with all of these, and especially with screening deals. In our opinion this is the most technical and important area to really understand. That’s what this eBook is about.
Bottom line, if you cannot sit down and in hour or two review the borrowers package (i.e. read the borrowers tax returns, Profit & Loss statement, Balance Sheet, Personal Financial Statement’s, Business Debt Schedule’s, Credit Report, Accounts Payable & Accounts Receivable Statements, etc) and decide to work on the deal OR throw it in the “round file”, you will have a very difficult time making money in this business. You will be operating at half speed. You will be throwing crap against the wall HOPING some of it will stick. And when it does, you will not know why. You can easily waste hundreds of hours on a single transaction, that could never fund in the first place. The reality is that there are many deals that are just not fundable. If I were to take a guess at it, probably 70% of the loans we review are not doable.
Think about it, even if you have an excellent marketing plan and know how to sell in this business – it doesn’t matter if you waste your time working on deals that have no chance of closing in the first place… You will only be closing a small portion of what you could be. Again this ebook is all about making you more efficient at pre screening loan requests, selling your services and marketing as a commercial mortgage broker.
Commercial Mortgage Broker Book
What we have done here is wrote this commercial training ebook in the style of a case study, which is based on two deals that we closed. The first example is a purchase, retail, 6 units, with a purchase price of $700,000. The borrower occupied 60% of the building with their own business. So, what makes this a great example, is that the borrower has three sources of income 1. the borrowers business that occupies the space 2. the tenants that occupy the other 40% of the building and 3. the borrower has separate side income. All of this income (and expenses) gets to be included to figure out the Total Cash Available For Debt Service that can be used to make the proposed mortgage payments.
So, we go through the borrowers tax returns, page by page and highlight what we used for income. Because 40% of the property is occupied by tenants, we also put together two Debt Coverage Analysis spreadsheets, so you can see how much of the buildings income we were able to factor into the net operating income.
The second deal is a cashout refinance at $1,780,000. Building type is medical office and the doctor’s (the borrower) practice occupies 100% of the building. What make this a great example is just the size and complexity of the borrowers tax returns. We go through over 80 pages and highlight what can and cannot be used as income. The borrower has three sets of tax returns, personal, business and real estate entity. All pages of these tax returns are included.
After reading this ebook, you will have an organized method for calculating ALL income. You should be able to qualify your own loans much more efficiently. You will also get advice on selling, marketing and underwriting criteria from an experienced brokers perspective.
In the commercial mortgage broker training book, we:
- Go through the borrowers 2007 tax return, page by page, and highlight every source of income that can be used, and explain why. Both personal, business and real estate entity.
- We present 2 Debt Coverage Ratio Analysis spreadsheets on the retail deal. The first shows the properties income without the borrowers rental income. The second shows how the property cash flows with the borrowers rental income included.
- We calculate the borrowers personal expenses and subtract out what has already been reported on other sections of the tax returns.
- We provide spreadsheets that organizes all sources of income and expenses and show how we calculated the total Net Operating Income of both deals (Global Income) and the Debt Coverage Ratio.
- We give underwriting advice on what to watch out for, from the brokers perspective. Details that will likely kill your file that you could have noticed before you put weeks into a deal and or taken to a different bank that would allow the issue.
- How to market your business so you can get REAL commercial borrowers calling you, so you can spend your time reviewing tax returns, term sheets and scheduling closings. Not trying to get yourself to make more cold calls. This is not pie in the sky BS. Its really not that difficult to get borrowers calling you if you set it up right.
- How to sell in the commercial mortgage business. We discuss exclusive and non exclusive relationships and more. This is a business with no standards of operation which means you can have a lot of control over files if you so choose to. We discuss how to negotiate this and more.
Buy now and the commercial mortgage broker training eBook will be emailed to you instantly (No Shipping Costs) via our software program. Emailed day or night. Now only $44.95.
Jeff has over 14 year experience, has closed literally 100’s of transactions totaling more than $300,000,000. He has worked at two commercial banks, one direct non bank commercial lender and as a commercial mortgage broker. He also has over 180 articles published both online and in print.